Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's been 3 days since my last ride. I made a feeble effort today by fixing up the cross-check back to commuter mode, slimmer tires, fenders and panniers. I even went so far as to pack up for work and load the bike. My enthusiasm was quickly stifled when I stepped outside for a test ride, and the wind just about blew me over. I don't mind cold and I don't mind wet. I do mind a 17kt sustained NW wind with gusts to 30, especially when i work NW of here. I decided to call it a day.

With all of this not riding going on lately i've had some time on my hands to do some crap around the house. I even updated my blog...Twice, I fixed up the cross check a bit, finished up some laundry, I even took the time to do NMB Cribs. I can hear myself getting fatter.


It's now time to head to work for real and once again I'll be driving the Go Go Gadget Tunundra. I haven't been riding to work for the last couple of months for some reason. Mostly because my wife really worries and BAD. I work shift work which mean I have to either ride to work in the dark or ride home in the dark. Not a bid deal except I almost got hit last year and made the mistake of telling my wife about it.

My "near miss" (that's what we call it in Air Traffic, it should be called a "near hit") was all my fault. I was new to commuting and was choosing the quickest route and not the safest route. I was riding home at night with minimal lighting on a shoulderless unlit country road. It's a wonder i didn't get killed.

No comments: