Thursday, February 19, 2009

A lot going on lately.  Last week we had a nice long conference call with the Moots people.  I guess this whole Moots/Swiftwick thing is really taking off now.  It was pretty cool.  I've  always known that moots is a fine product but it was great finding out what makes it so great.  We found out a lot of stuff about titanium tubing, mitering, welding, and finishing that I never knew before. We also found out that our frames should be here in late march.

In other news, LBL is a freaking mess.  Every so often a tornado comes threw and wrecks a section of a local trail.  It's usually an isolated event that only affects a small area of trail (after all tornado's just aren't that big) and requires a few chain saws and a few man hours to clean up.  The entire trail loo
ks like a tornado rolled through the entire trail system.  The trees that weren't uprooted were snapped near the top or just lost most of their limbs.  It looks like a ware zone.  

Keith and I drove up monday afternoon for a few hours work.  We helped finish off the barkley side of the canal loop.  250+ man hours to clear 6 miles of trail.  We actually worked on a section that wasn't too bad compared to what was cleaned up already and what was to come on the KY side of the loop.  We actually felt like we were making progress and reaching a mile stone which kept our sprits up all day.  The sad fact is there is 35+ miles of trail to go and even when com
plete LBL will never be the same place, good or bad, it will never look the same. 

 Steve found this nice "skinny" suspended about 8 feet above some thick gooey mud and decided 
to walk it.  I won't post the pic of him laying on his face but I will tell ya it went well until the end.



Tuesday, Jeff, K
eith and I drove down to Columbia for a few laps of one of our favorite trails.  Our only goal was 
at least 4 laps at any p
ace, with little stopping.  We had a great time, 
the trail was perfect...almost as was the weather.  Our fist lap was an easy pace
 which is what you might expect for a ride of 35 miles or so but after that 
the pace was quickened to a near XC like pace, where it stayed for the last 3 laps.  I felt great and rode surprisingly strong finishing with plenty gas in the tank.  It makes me wonder what's up with my sub par finishes at the Snake Creek Gap lately.  I have been treating myself better for the last couple weeks, riding more and eating less.  I hope to feel this good march 7th.


Wednesday it was back to LBL for some more trail work.  The going was tough.  The forest service provided us with a sawyer so even though there was more work to do we still managed to clear about 1 1/4 miles of trail in about 4 hours.  I'm gonna try to get back up there friday before work for a couple of hours if i can.  I'd rather ride but I'm  happy to sacrifice some ride time for trail work until we get the loop cleared.  It's the least I can do for Steve (Wilson) who is an asset to the local, and beyond, cycling community.  His business, Wood N' Wave bike shop, relies heavily on the traffic generated by that trail and the park in general.  He hasn't said anything but he's gotta be hurting because of it.

No comments: