Monday, February 16, 2009

Snake Round #2: Complete-by the skin o' my teeth.

Hard living combined with a lack of riding culminated last Saturday to provide me with one of the hardest snakes I've had to date. Despite my rough day in the saddle and piss poor performance I managed to have one of the best times i've had in a while(by best time i mean fun not actual race time).

The trip started Friday afternoon, just like last month only earlier and better prepared. Keith and I met up with Jeffy, J5, and Dustin (BAMF). Dan managed to score us a warhead (5gal keg) of the sponsorships finest Yazoo Dos Perros, which we were transporting down in the Go Go Gadget Tundra. I usually drive cuz the Tundra holds 5 peeps and with gear, 2 bikes in the bed and up to 4 on a borrowed rack.

We stopped off at pizza hut and marveled in awe as BAMF Dustin and KRS1 Keith pollished off a medium pie each without blinking an eye. I did my best but left 3 slices for later. We dropped Thad + beer off at the parking lot for camping purposes and hte rest of us headed to the hotel no tell. Keith and Jeff hopped in the truck and drove back to the parking lot while Dustin and I mounted bikes for a short urban jaunt around the hard streets of Dalton before riding up to the parking lot.

We climbed up to the parking lot (race finishline, camping/parking spot) where the fire was blazing and folks were enjoying the Dos. I hung around and helped with the beers while Dustin set out for a few trips up the mountain on his trusty Remedy. Good times were had by all and the keg was floated in a jiff. I ate the rest of my pizza then we all headed back down the hill to the hotel and were in bed at a reasonable hour.

The next day the race started out pretty good for me. Despite my tossing and turning all night and heart burn from my late night pizza, I was feeling good and holding myself to a reasonable pace. I made sure to stay behind Keith who usually starts slower than me and finished stronger, and before, me. Shortly before the halfway point I hopped off the trusty Karate Monkey for a hike-a-bike up a short steep section. I took about 2 steps and that's where I knew it was gonna be a long day for me. I didn't feel good at all anymore. I made my way to the half way point letting Keith and Scott, who was riding with us, go. I stopped at the parking lot and hung out for about 10 minutes trying to shake the nausia.. I started feeling better so I set back out again and felt pretty good till the last aid station that signifies 8 miles of hell to go.

Stopped at the aid station and topped off my bottles. The rest was misery, about 2+ hours of pain and suffering. Slow turtle like pace getting passed by 30 + folks. I left everything I had on those last miles and finished with an empty tank. I was greeted by friends with smiles and coke (thanks Jose) which really brought me back to life. I felt better and was able to enjoy the rest of the trip.

We had an awesome crew of Mid-TN folks in attendance. Some just for the party and support, The Neumeyers, who did a fantastic job. Some who had never ridden the snake, Squish, and some veterans who took some serious chunks of time off from the last time. J5 and Keith finished sub 4, and both set personal bests. ScraffyZ(Rick) finished on a rigid single speed and knocked off over 30 minutes. There were a lot of other great local riders who finished strong too.

That's about all I have to say about that.

No comments: