Monday, March 09, 2009

Saturday was the 3rd and final snake of the year. Sad to see it go but I couldn't imagine doing it every month. The weather could not have been better. Friday the Go-Go-Gadget Tundra was loaded with eager riders, Me, Keith(KRS1), Dustin (Super D), and Thad(J5), all hoping to lay the smack down the following day, knowing full well it would be our last chance till January to battle this trail and it's evil demons. We battled our way through rush hour traffic rocking out and telling awful poo stories, like guys do, and just having a good time.

We arrived a little later than usual and headed strait to the parking lot to drop off J5, the consummate camper boy. We didn't hang out as long as usual as the rest of us were pretty beat down. We met up with Jeffy at the hotel, toasted with a frothy beverage and called it a night.

The weather was great early in the morning with a thick mist hanging in the air and high 50 temps. We decided to drive ourselves to the start early and come back for the truck post race. As a result most of the Mid TN crew were able to start at the front of the pack instead of the usual mid to back of the pack start.

We rolled off the line at a good clip. The start is pretty flat for about 2 miles before hitting the first of the brutal climbs. I was spinning an easier gear this round but it didn't seem to slow me down on the flat much. I was rolling pretty hard and feeling phenomenal, tucked in right behind Keith. We rode together till about halfway up the single track. I pulled ahead slightly which made me think that I might be going too hard too soon. I pushed the thought out of my head and just kept the pace going all the way to the top.

Cresting the top, I gave a quick shout out to the volunteers and proceeded to let it all hang out down the fire road. It's funny you spend 30 minutes or more climbing this monster and 2 minutes getting to the bottom. Climbed the next short hill a little slower than the first, busted a hard left back to the single track and right into a nice steep pine needle covered climb. Steep and short and it led to the first hellafied gangsta single track decent. With nobody in front of me, for the first time ever, I let it all hang out...again, blowing through the nasty rut and down the the flat shady bottom. The whole time I kept thinking of the early demise of Poor Ol' Johnny Black Death Cash, and how her death was likely caused from just such shenanigans.

On to the short peanut butter climbs leading to the 2nd big climb o' the day and they were actually dry and ridable. Sweet!!! Usually there is a line of walking suffering human beings playing leap-frog-hike-a-bike but not today, today we were riding it. The not-so-peanut butter climbs lead to some long and steep, lung busting, single track climbing which I managed with minimal dismounts this time. When the climbing was all done I was rewarded with the best downhill of the day. It's long, steep, fairly smooth with banked corners and water bars for airing it out. I decided to pump the rollers rather than jump them and risk a flat or worse.

Out of the woods and up to the parking lot/halfway point and the sag. I traded out water bottles, gave Becky a shout out and big thanks for providing support for all of us, and started chasing Thad. Dickman, megaphone in hand was heckling him as he climbed the next few switchbacks leading out of the parking lot and up the 3rd major climb for the day. I was just barely cranking the pedals over at this point and not real sure why. Then I realized that I was having so much fun on the last decent that I never allowed myself to recover before starting the next climb. Wood N' Wave Steve Wilson is always reminding me to do this and I got all wrapped up and forgot.

I slowed the pace just enough to keep from blowing up and continued to grind my way up the single track climb. Catching Thad, which would have been a huge and rare accomplishment, would have to wait for another day. Nearing the top of the climbs I felt the beginnings of a calf cramp coming on. I popped some electrolyte caps and kept on going. Bombing the next downhill was exhilarating. It's rough, rocky, and super flowy. not a single person in front of me and I was once again able to let it hang out. Sweet, starting near the front really pays off.

Crossed the last creek crossing for the day and started up the dirt road to the last aid station of the day and I threw down some electrolyte powder that Matt gave me a month ago, and almost gaged on it. It helped but sure was hard to get down. I settled into a good climbing pace and motored on up to the top. I had a quick conversation with a fella on a Mooto X who was kind enough to inform me that we were on pace for sub 3:45. Holy shit. I caught a glimpse of Thad again and gave him a big woo hoo then jumped out of the saddle to try and catch up to him. Bad move. Both legs went into cramp mode instantly. Back to the saddle again for me all of the way to the top of the climb.

I bypassed the aid station, with a quick shout out to the support folks, and entered the section of trail that i fear most. I have a history of brutal bonks on this section of the snake. It's incredibly rocky and brutal, especially on a rigid single speed. I pushed the negativity away and just motored on. I rolled up on Thad who was feeling great but way over geared for this section of the trail thanks to the early demise of Johnny Black Death Cash(rest in peace) and hub issues on the Ti bike. I know the feeling. It's so hard to keep momentum through this rough stuff without the perfect gear.

I shared with him the good news of that we were both headed for unknown, to us, territory of 3:45. Not sure he believed me. I kept the pace going despite the occasional cramp and made my way to The Wall. The wall is a steep mother of a climb that is a hike-a-bike for the likes of me. Normally, I can't even walk up it without stopping for air but today i was determined to walk with a purpose and not stop. I mounted the bike and attempted to ride some of the huge rocks on the ridge with minimal success. Pretty soon I was cramping so bad I had ot get off the bike and walk on flat sections. My legs were toast. I peddled as much as I could and walked as fast as I could when I had to walk.

By now the tower was in sight and I put my head down and peddled hard for the gravel road decent. I put my head down, tucked in tight and bombed away down the 2 mile mountain road to the finish line.

It was awesome watching my friends all cross the line, busting out personal bests left and right. The whole Go Go Gadget Tundra crew plus Jeffy put up new personal best times. Dustins wasn't actually his fastest but considering he was riding a 32lb behemoth and had a flat it was a victory anyway.

Jeff (Jeffy), Matt (Xtanker), Greg (Old Greg), Steven Myers & Wife Ruthie, and Andrew all busted their best times.

This was my second SNG Series so 6 races total with times being all over the place.
2008
Jan- 5:52 (ish) That really is a 5 its not a typo.
Feb-4:28 (ish)
Mar-4:30(ish)

2009
Jan-4:21(ish)
Feb-4:4x(ish) i was so disappointed i didn't even check the result somebody told me my time.
Mar-3:34 That really is a 3 not a typo

Anywho, this post is growing long winded so I'll stop now. Looking forward to a great race season.

6 comments:

cornfed said...

Nice work Adam. About time you believed in yourself as much as we all do.
Way to step it up!

Unknown said...

Nice write up and amazing race Adam! Great job buddy! I'm proud to know that you and I suffered through that 5:50 in January of last year. How far you've come!!

I'm super excited for the 2009 race reason and for what new riding stories we'll all have!

Keep it up, you rock!

Keith said...

I enjoyed the poo stories!

In my eye's, you have NOT even touched your potential! When you find that consistency....we are all screwed.

Good job, you suck!

FullSquishy said...

Your legend is growing young Skywalker.....soon you will be a Jedi Master!!!!!

Adam said...

Thad-Thanks for the kind words. Nice job yourself. I still can't believe you pushed that gear and still busted your pb. Nice work.

Greg-I looked it up, 5:48! Can you believe we spent that much time on that trail? Nice work your damn self. It's been cool dropping tons and time with you.

Matt-It ended up being more like 8lbs. Dude, you had 2 flats and still rocked an awesome time. good work man.

Keith-I just got fed up with you killing me at every race so I stole your gear. Thanks again, I'm sure that saved me minutes, unnecessary pain, and very likely your spot on the results page.

Kelly-We sure did miss you this time. Good job with the Bike Patrol thing though let's hope you don't have to use those life saving skillz anytime soon.

nick johnson said...

Your article has sparked a lot of thought for me. I really enjoyed the content and agree with most of your views. Thank you for sharing.amature